iH8sn0w has released an updated version of his jailbreak tool to bring support for iOS 6.x untethered jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze 2.9.8 adds support for the latest iOS 6.x jailbreak for older devices. Check the download links at the bottom of the post.
It is using the same exploit made by Evad3rs in the form of Evasi0n released yesterday. So if you have already jailbroken your device using Evasi0n, you just have to ignore the Sn0wbreeze 2.9.8 as its not for you.
Here are the release notes made available by the developer:
What is New?
- Added 5.2/6.0.x/6.1 untethers provided by evad3rs
- Added iOS 6.1 support for iPhone 3GS, and A4 devices.
- Fixed Hacktivation issues on 6.0.x.
- Fixed some iFaith mode bugs.
- I should note AppleTV 2 stuff such as XBMC is currently broken. So you may want to hold back on updating until your favorite tweaks are updated and available.
- Use iFaith mode after selecting/downloading the appropriate IPSW for your device. You will then be prompted to browse for SHSH blobs for the IPSW you have selected.
- Remember to enter a PWNED DFU state with sn0wbreeze’s iREB button in the top bar of sn0wbreeze prior to (SHIFT + Restoring) the custom signed IPSW!
As stated many times in the past, sn0wbreeze cannot be updated to work on A5(X)/A6(X) devices until a low level exploit in DFU or iBoot is found and made public.
A5(X)/A6(X) Baseband Preservation/Hacktivation?
For those running A5(X)/A6(X) devices and need to preserve your baseband, there is nothing you can do at the moment. For those wanting to hacktivate, the only advice I can give is to buy the carrier’s SIM (the one its locked to obviously) on ebay. The SIM does not have to be activated with the carrier to activate the phone.
- Windows 8 users currently need to use this workaround to run sn0wbreeze.
- First boot on an AppleTV 2 for 5.1/5.2 firmwares has funky glitches. Should be fixed by updates pushed via repos.
- iPad baseband will fail to flash on iOS 4.0 –> iOS 4.2.1 restores.
- iPod Touch 2G 4.x.x restores fail (fix coming soon).
Sn0wbreeze has its disadvantages like its a Windows only tool and as of now it cannot be used with the new devices having A5(X) and A6(X) processors.
In short, don’t use it, yes we said that because all your jailbreaking needs can be fulfilled by Evasi0n that we have already covered in detail. Let us say its an update by the developer to keep making his software compatible with the latest version.