BigBoss has released a semi-tethered jailbreak version for iOS 5 on iPhone iPad and iPod Touch. Simply the semi-tethered jailbreak is a shield for your iOS device if it reboots while you are away from your computer. Not an untethered jailbreak but a little close to it and of course better than the tethered one.
What is Semi-Tethered Jailbreak and How it is different from Tethered Jailbreak:
Semi-tethered jailbreak is a new thing in the jailbreaking world. It allows your device to re-boot in a semi-functioning state where necessary application such as Phone calls and SMS apps can be used. It is different than the Tethered jailbreak which requires a tethered boot by connecting it with a computer otherwise it will not come to a normal state which means the device is useless unless until you connect it with a computer to do a tethered boot. So if you are away from your home say on a road trip and their is no computer near you then there is nothing you can do about it. For more details you can follow this link Difference between Semi Tethered Jailbreak Vs. Tethered Jailbreak Vs. Untethered Jailbreak.
List Of Apps That Can Be Used In Semi-Tethered State:
BigBoss has updated a list of apps that can be used while your device is in a semi jailbreak mode.
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
Semi-Tethered is currently in a beta version and it comes as a package that can be installed from the Cydia Store.
Remember you need to have your iOS 5 device already tethered jailbroken in order for semi-tethered to work.
If you have an iOS 5 tethered jailbroken device, all you need to do is to add the following repository to cydia: http://thebigboss.org/semitether.
Step by Step How To Guide To Jailbreak iOS 5 Semi Tethered On iPhone iPad and iPod Touch
For more latest stories on iOS jailbreaking and unlocking, stay tuned to VeryRite.com. Also share this post with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.