iPhone Dev Team has just released an updated version of Redsn0w jailbreak tool. The new Redsn0w 0.9.9b4 can jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1 and iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 4G. Remember its a tethered jailbreak solution. It DOES NOT jailbreak iPhone 4S or jailbreak iPad 2 on iOS 5.
NOTE: Before you follow the below guide to jailbreak your device, you need to know that the following process is NOT for those who want to preserve their baseband for the Unlock. The following method is only for those who do not care about the unlock and its ok even their basebands gets updated. We will update another guide for those who wish to preserve baseband with a Custom firmware to jailbreak their iOS devices. If you are unaware, PwnageTool is no longer available as its custom IPSW fucntionality is now embedded into Redsn0w.
How To Jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch
- Download iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch what ever device you have. (If you are already on iOS 5, you do not need to re-download it of course)
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 and extract the ZIP file.
- Create a folder on desktop and copy both the above downloads to it.
- Open iTunes 10.5 software.
- Hold down OPTION button on keyboard and press RESTORE button on iTunes and select the iOS 5 IPSW from the folder you created on desktop.
- Your device will be updated to iOS 5 firmware.
- (You can leave STEP 2 if you are already on iOS 5)
- Open the folder you created on desktop and open launch the Redsn0w application.
- It will open the following screen. Now you need to press the JAILBREAK button.
- Put OFF your iOS device and connect it with your computer.
- Make sure its OFF and connected to your computer and then press the NEXT button.
- Redsn0w will now assist your to enter your device in DFU mode.
- Hold down both the HOME button and POWER button for almost 10 seconds on your iOS device.
- Let go the POWER button and keep holding the HOME button until your device is detected in the DFU mode.
- After that your device will reboot.
- Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data so that it can start the process.
- Following screen will now appear and you have to select CYDIA for which we are doing this whole thing. Now click on the NEXT button.
- Redsn0w will now start the jailbreaking process. Once the process is completed, it will show your the following screen with a DONE message.
- After this, you need to re-launch Redsn0w application. Instead of clicking JAILBREAK, this time you need to click on EXTRAS.
- Now click on JUST BOOT option so that your device can tethered boot.
CONGRATULATION! You have successfully jailbroken iOS 5 on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Share this post with your friends. In case you have question, you can join us on Facebook or Twitter.