George Hotz as known as GeoHot has released PlayStation 3 [PS3] firmware package decrypter known as dePKG. With the help of this linux based package decryptor, developers will be able to look into the files like CORE_OS_PACKAGE.pkg inside Sonyís official firmware (PS3UPDAT.PUP) files from ther PCs.
For the people who are unaware of the developer, George Hotz (GeoHot) is the famous for purplera1n, Blackra1n Jailbreak and Limera1n Jailbreak and his work on PlayStation 3 [PS3] hacking.
The famous Geohot resurfaced today, to release a useful app called dePKG. The app is very useful for devs, that are planning to look into Sonyís official firmware files. dePKG is a linux app, that will decrypt PKG files, that are within PS3UPDAT.PUP files (not to be confused with PSN PKG files).
This will allow devs to take a look at files such as CORE_OS_PACKAGE.pkg, from the convenience of their PC. Previously, the only way to take a look at these files, was via graf_chokoloís method, which utilized the PS3. Geohotís app is ready to be compiled and includes the necessary decryption keys
Now what developers have to do is use this dePKG app along with previous released PUP unpackers, and once fail0verflow releases their jailbreak tools for PS3, you will be seeing a flood of custom firmware pupís that are fully signed and useable on all PlayStation 3 console.
You might also like to see:
- Official PlayStation [PS] App For iOS [iPhone, iPod] & Android Coming
- PlayStation 3 [PS 3] Jailbroken Using Apple iPhone & iPod Touch!
- PlayStation 3 [PS3] Firmware 3.50 Jailbreak With X3 Max Dongle Without Downgrade
- PS Jailbreak Allows Downgrade Of PlayStation 3 Firmware 3.42 and 3.5 To Earlier Versions
- Sony Releases PS3 3.6.1 firmware! 3.6.1 Jailbreak CFW Possibility