Apple has released iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master version for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch for developers. iOS 4.2 is expected to be released very soon for the public. With the new version, the very first question that comes in many people’s mind is, can we jailbreak it ??? Yes! You can also jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master version using Redsn0w 0.9.6b2. The tool makes use of the Geohot’s Limera1n exploit. The same exploit is also used by greenpois0n jailbreak tool.
Point to be noted is that Cydia is currently broken on iOS 4.2.x and it will not work if you try to run it. Cydia for iOS 4.2.x will be ready once iOS 4.2.1 is released for public. But you can use SSH to install apps on your jailbroken device with Redsn0w 0.9.6b2.
Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 can jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master version running on:
- iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G, 3G, 2G
How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master version on iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS, iPod touch 4G, 3G, 2G using Redsn0w 0.9.6 b2
- Download iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master version
- Download iOS 4.1 final version for your device
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.6 beta 2 For Mac or Download RedSn0w 0.9.6 beta 2 For Win
- Download iTunes 10.1
- Update to iOS 4.2.1 firmware version using IPSW file that you have downloaded via iTunes.
- Run the Redsn0w 0.9.6b2
- Point it to iOS 4.1 (Remember point it to Final Version that is iOS 4.1, NOT iOS 4.2.1) and continue the process.
- Redsn0w will now prepare the jailbreak process and will show you the following screen.
- Check “Install Cydia” and click “Next”.
- You can also check “enable battery percentage” option to enhance performance.
- Make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN before you click “Next”.
- A prompt will appear to allow you to put your device in DFU mode.
- First hold “Power” and “Home” button for some seconds, then release the “Power” button while holding the ‘Home” button until you see a process start for installation.
- Wait for the installation be completed.
- Your device will restart automatically after this.
Congratulations!! You have successfully jailbroken you iDevice. :) :) :)
Be Aware: If you have an unlocked device with ultrasn0w, stay away from Redsn0w, as it updates your baseband to latest version, which is still unlockable till now.
You might also like to see :
- Jailbreak Apple iPhone 3GS On iOS 4.2 GM With PwnageTool
- Jailbreak iOS 4.1 On iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, 4G Using GreenPois0n
- Jailbreak iOS 4.2 GM Using Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 On iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch & iPad