Here we go again with another Jailbreak for iOS 4.2. The jailbreak has been released by msft.guy for iOS 4.2 on iPhone 3GS using PwnageTool. It contains a patch for broken Cydia and you can use this bundle with existing version of PwnageTool to make custom firmware files that are jailbroken for iPhone 3GS. The method will also allow you to save your older baseband for later unlock using Ultrasn0w.
Cydia is currently broken on iOS 4.2 as atvBundlePatcher.sh disables Cydia’s space.sh script that seems to be causing problems on 4.2 GM. But msft.guy has released a patched version which you will have to install manually. You can download this patch from. The following step by step guide will help you guide on how to patch the existing version of PwnageTool so that it can jailbreak iOS 4.2 GM on iPhone 3GS.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4.2 GM with PwnageTool with Cydia Patch
- You need to Download PwnageTool 4.1
- Download latest version of PwnageTool Bundle.
- Extract the package on your desktop.
- Download iOS 4.2 GM for iPhone 3GS
- You need to have iTunes 10.1 installed.
- Go to the PwnageTool that you have downloaded. Right click and click in “Show Package Contents”.
- Go to the location Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and Paste iPhone2,1_4.2_8C134.bundle there.
- Close this folder after copying.
- Place atvBundlePatcher.sh and Info.plist.patch in the same directory as PwnageTool.app . DO NOT place it inside the bundle
- Run the patched version of PwnageTool
- Select iPhone 3GS as your device
- PwnageTool will automatically detect iOS 4.2 GM firmware.
- PwnageTool will prompt you “Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?” during the process. Simply press ‘NO’ whenever it prompts the above message.
- Pressing ‘Yes’ will update your baseband to the latest version. Only press ‘Yes’ if you an officially supported network carrier like AT&T.
- Custom .ipsw file for your iPhone 3GS will be generated by PwnageTool that will be jailbroken.
- It will then prompt you to save custom .ipsw firmware file. Save this file on your desktop.
- It requires almost 15 minutes to create a custom firmware.
- Press ‘phone icon’ from the sidebar of your iTunes 10.1.
- Press and hold left “alt” button (”Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update” or “Check for Update”) button in the iTunes 10.1.
- Release the “Shift” button now.
- As your iPhone device is successfully comes in DFU mode, iTunes will prompt you to select location for your custom firmware 4.1.
- Select custom IPSW that was created and click the Choose button.
- You have to wait for some time till iTunes installs the new firmware 4.2 on your iPhone.
- After the installation is done, iPhone will restart automatically.